I shudder at the thought of my six sons learning their views on women from hanging out in the sports locker room.......or from watching the latest box office smash......or from the posters in the Victoria's Secret store at the mall.
Years ago I figured that somewhere out there, the six moms of their future wives were hoping my boys would learn to set their sights on something better than the cheap counterfeits of this world!
The training of our sons must go deeper than a quick piece of advice while we hand them the car keys and tell them what time to be in. What they learn from us can either speak volumes, or be a dull whisper that barely catches their attention.
Most of our influence comes when we least expect it. I intentionally look for opportunities to impart these ten things to my boys about girls....
1. God has one for you if you are called to be married. She will be your helpmeet—well fitting, completing and suitable. Together you will do great exploits in the Kingdom of God.
2. Discovering her will be an adventure… a sometimes nerve-racking, knuckle-biting drama! Females have a flair for the dramatic. Let the process of finding her mature your relationship with the Lord. Learn to seek Him first so you can hear His voice.
3. On the way to discovering her, you will meet many counterfeits. How you handle those not-the-one-for-you girls will likely determine your future.
4. Some of those counterfeits are sent by the devil to distract you or to destroy your calling and destiny. You will need the power of the Holy Spirit and the wisdom of your parents and mentors to avoid the enemy's schemes. Remember your brother Samson.
5. Treat every girl you meet the same way you want the guys to treat your future wife. ←tweet Paul gave the young man Timothy great advice when he said to “treat…younger women as sisters.” 1 Timothy 5:2
6. You can rule over your own emotions and hormones! You are a man of God, not an animal. Sexual purity before marriage is not easy, but it is achievable through the leadership of Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit. The self control muscle you learn early in life will be the same self control needed to keep your marriage strong.
7. Set your heart to radically pursue God—not girls—in your teen years. Passion can be recklessly wasted never to return again. One day, while you are running toward God's plan for your life, you will look over and discover the one running along side you who will be your life partner.
8. Turn your eyes away from immorality. Learn to guard your heart. You want to find a one-man woman so you must be the one-woman man now.
9. Prepare your fields now. Learn to be an excellent provider. After that you can prepare your house. A woman needs a man who is ready to lead their home with excellence.
10. Listen to the team God has placed on your side. Your dad and mom are your best coaches. Believe God will use them, as well as the other mentors in your life, to help you make wise plans for your bride. Trust the process. God's timing is always perfect.
How about you? What are you teaching your sons about girls?
* * * * * * *
This post is part of my series, Will Your Kids Find the Right Mate? Here are the rest of the posts:
Will Your Kids Find the Right Mate?
Two of Our Kids Found Romance!
Can We Divorce-proof Our Kids? Ten Strategies for Parents
The Word that Makes Us Bristle: Can We Divorce-Proof Our Kids, Part 2
Should Finding a Mate Be Like Buying a Pair of Shoes?
You Can’t Make Me! Teens, Romance, and Rules
The Top Ten Things I Want My Daughters to Know about Boys
Don’t miss this special sale on our Hot Romance DVD:
It's now only $10.00, which is half price. Now through February 14 at our store.