I noticed a couple weeks ago one of my old enemies creeping into my parenting routines. Procrastination. Putting off the tough assignments in life when they make me feel overwhelmed, fearful, sad or confused. But why is it procrastination never buys me anything?! Usually, I end up trying to solve my original issue AND digging out of my extra problem caused by the procrastination. So I end up feeling even more defeated.
Today I thought I would review my top 10 strategies for conquering putting off the important jobs. (Wow, this list helped me already!)
1. Check your morning routines. How I handle my day right out of the shoot either sets me up for success or failure. Rising quickly at the sound of the alarm. Beginning my day with prayer and time in the Word. Hitting my exercise and shower times. Seems simple, but if I delay the routines, I set myself up for delays a.l.l. d.a.y. l.o.n.g.
2. Do the hardest thing first. A great strategy taught in the business world works in the home!
3. Make a list and subdivide tasks. My to do lists do not solve my problems, but they do help me identify what I know I need to do and set a strategy for getting them done! Sometimes the hard task can be divided into two or more simpler steps.
4. Declare God's scripture over my situation. Fear and the power of the flesh are defeated by the living active Word of God. (Ephesians 6:17)
5. Just do it. Borrow the marketing phrase from Nike?!
6. Tell someone you are doing it. Now your integrity and your word are your motivator.
7. Smile. An unbelievably simple way to walk in joy. And the joy of Lord is our strength to do hard things. (Nehemiah 8:10)
8. Take His grace and power by faith. God's grace is sufficient for us and His power is perfected in our weakness. (2 Corinthians 12:9) But each must be activated by the Kingdom rule of faith.
9. Celebrate all steps achieved. Marvel at the power of God working in you. Thank Him for the breakthrough.
10. Get back up and try again. When you fall into procrastination once, do NOT use it as an excuse to throw in the towel and keep up the pattern. Pray. Repent. And get up and do 1-9 again. Forgive yourself as He forgives you.
What about you? What strategies have you found helpful?