My Ladies’ Sunday school class confirmed the obvious:
Most people are feeling worried.
Unless you have been asleep the last few weeks, you probably do not need me to explain why.
Sure, we have faced tough times in our nation in recent years.
But somehow the mixture of ISIS beheadings and blood moon prophecies combined with domestic Ebola cases handled with mysterious mistakes and life-risking errors is seeming to be a little too much!
We want our sweet security back!
As we considered our options, we realized that freaking out about these threats did not seem like a productive plan, so we wisely considered 6 other more constructive responses.
Perhaps you and your family will find these suggestions helpful to take into your new week while watching the international news!
1. Fear not! It’s one of the clearest instructions repeated dozens of times in scriptures. Fear is a paralyzing spiritual force that must be resisted....in Jesus’ name! Let your children see your leadership today as you arrest the force of fear. (See 2 Kings 6:16, Isaiah 41:10 and Matthew 10:28)
2. Face facts. David looked honestly at Goliath. Without fear, he noted his size and strength. With courage we can look at facts....but then look at our God!
3. Expect the full range of human reactions going on around you. My ladies and I could recognize a whole range of responses we were observing among our peers:
denial that tried to minimize and scoff at the threat
hysteria that exaggerated and lead to chaos
anger that looked for someone to blame
foolishness that looked for ridiculously irrational answers
fixer-uppers who try hard to find a way out
Once we could identify all the "types" of responses we had already done ourselves :), we were free to make a wiser response.
4. Transfer your trust. I am deeply concerned when I continue to hear in the media a boasting of how strong our health care and military are, and how we would never have a serious threat to our nation.
Uh oh, I keep thinking. Pride goes before a fall! While I am so grateful to be a citizen of our wonderful country....I refuse to place my trust anywhere but in God alone! (Psalm 91)
5. Kindle your faith. This is not the time to be wishy- washy with our faith. This is the time to be feeding our faith with the word of God! (Romans 10:17)
6. Pray! Surely...surely we can see our incredibly important role in our nation right now. I am hearing God's voice beckoning me to pray like never before. He is on His throne ready to receive our requests and give us our instructions. (Hebrews 4:16)
What else would you add to my list of 6?
Image: Nate Steiner “Panic” via Flickr Creative Commons
License: Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0)