My kids brought me this article explaining how George Perdikis, one of the founders of the Newsboys Christian Band, recently announced that he is now an atheist. How tragic. And how confusing.
How can it be that the same year we watched the Newsboys on the movie release God's Not Dead we also hear of their original band member's departure from the faith? Is that not ironic?
Atheism does appear to be on the rise.
But I am not one who thinks the trend must continue! As a parent I am committed to learn what I can about the reasons someone leaves their faith....and then do everything in my power to counter these hindering forces before they attack my family and friends!
Here are 9 top reasons I have noted. Can you think of others?
1. They never were really a Christian: Lack of authentic faith in the heart even when appearances are being kept up to fake a Christian identity will eventually show up on the outside.
2. Losing their "First Love": Jesus warned of being tricked into forsaking your first love in Revelation 2:4. All through the Old Testament we read of those who started with God and then fell in love with something else that led them away from Him.
3. Cares, worries, and riches: The seed (which is the Word of God) was choked to death in the parable of the sower by cares, worries, and riches. Matthew 13:1-22. When the Word is snuffed out in a person's heart, faith leaves.
4. Shallow Bible knowledge: Eve was talked out of her obedient faith in God by the snake who simply questioned her belief. "Did God really say?" is being asked in our modern world by an unbelieving and perverse generation. If we do not know how to answer the tough questions of our day using biblical reasoning, we can easily be talked out of faith. (I’ve written about this in our book Not Open).
5. Persecution: Matthew 13: 21 says concerning the seed that fell on the rocky soil, "But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away." We are on the increasing edge of real persecution in this country, so people falling away according to this scripture could be a predicted result.
6. Bitter roots: When bad things happen to good people, everyone wants to know "why." And if we suffer painful loss the enemy of our souls will tempt us to do what Job’s wife told him to do: Curse God and die. (Job 2:9)
Hebrews 12:15 says it this way: See to it that… no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.
7. Heretical doctrines: False doctrines are sometimes called false gospels in the Bible. Today we see many false teachings circulating that open the door for an abandonment of true Biblical orthodox Christian faith.
8. Sin: Sin has the power to blind us. If we are not willing to repent quickly of our sin, we are tempted to rewrite what we believe to escape sin's inevitable consequences.
9. Broken family images: When the image of Daddy is painful in this life, some walk away from the One who can heal their broken souls!
So ....what are you doing in your home to counter these enemies of your Christian faith?
Image: MTSOfan “diverge” via Flickr Creative Commons
License: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)
Related External Link: 4 Truths to Combat Atheism's Lie